© Spencer Platt/Staff/Getty Images
A fire in a residential neighborhood in Hoboken, New Jersey completely destroyed two apartment buildings. The fire is believed to have been started by a second floor tenant who was smoking a cigarette. At some point, a propane tank on the back patio exploded. The four-alarm fire then spread to a neighboring building and completely destroyed both properties before it was put out.
These situations are equally as alarming for property owners and for tenants. One person's actions can affect an entire community. Landlords must make sure their properties have the proper smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire escapes.
Landlords must also have an emergency plan in place so tenants know what to do if there is an emergency. Landlords and tenants must also make sure they are properly insured in case these worst-case scenarios become reality.Suggested Reading: