Getting Started as a Landlord or Property Investor
By Erin Eberlin
Becoming a Landlord
Learn the many roles a landlord plays. Learn the responsibilities a landlord has to their tenants, to their property, to their community and to themselves.
- 5 Things You Should Know Before Becoming a Landlord
- The Roles of a Landlord
- Landlord's Responsibilities to Their Tenants
- Landlord's Responsibilities to Their Property
- Landlord's Responsibilities to Themselves
- Landlord's Responsibilities to Their Community
Buying a Property
Learn what you should do before you invest in real estate. Learn what makes real estate a great investment. Learn the different types of properties you can invest in.
- The ABC's of Property Investing
- Assess Your Finances
- Be Educated About Property Investing
- Consider Your Personality Type
- Develop a Plan Before Investing in Property
- Evaluate the Investment Property
- 3 HUD Programs Every Property Investor Should Know
- 5 Benefits of Investing in an Income Property
- 9 Types of Investment Properties
- What Is HUD?
Learn where to find tenants for your property. Learn how to select the right tenant, including how to properly run a credit check. Discover how the price of your rental can impact your ability to find a tenant.
- The Complete Guide to Tenant Screening
- Where to Find Tenants
- 10 Questions for Prospective Tenants
- Questions You Cannot Ask a Prospective Tenant
- How to Select the Right Tenant for Your Property
- How to Run a Credit Check on a Prospective Tenant
- 5 Tips for Setting the Right Rent
Marketing Your Property
Learn how to make your property appeal to prospective tenants. Learn what to include in your "For Rent' ads. Learn what you should do when showing your property to increase your chances of getting it rented quickly.
- 15 Things to Include in Your 'For Rent' Ad
- How to Write a Newspaper Ad for Your Rental
- How to Place a Classified Ad for Your Rental in the Newspaper
- 5 Ways to Makeover Your Rental Property
- How to Use the 5 Senses to Attract Potential Tenants
- Marketing Your Property Using the Sense of Smell
- Marketing Your Property Using the Sense of Taste
- Marketing Your Property Using the Sense of Touch
Learn the legal obligations a landlord has under the Fair Housing Act.